Monday, October 19, 2015

The Leftovers - Music to Our Ears


Written By: Michael Cassidy


I've often thought that a good TV show can almost be watched with your eyes closed. At least the good TV that I have watched. Shows like "Lost," "Friday Night Lights," "Breaking Bad" and "Mr. Robot" all have a captivating score that is almost a character in its own right. The Leftovers is a beautiful example of how great music can help make a great show.



I never really watched scripted TV shows. I was a guy who really enjoyed nights watching some NBA and my weekend football. I would watch Jimmy Kimmel at night for my daily dose of good humor, but that was the extant of my TV watching. It wasn't until I met my wife 8 years ago that I started to watch and appreciate TV shows.

House-The first show I watched with my wife was "House." Admittedly, I was thinking, "Man, this will be boring, tv shows are all the same." Then, I heard the opening credits and I thought, "Oh wow, I love Massive Attack, and I love this song." The intro at least sparked my interest and I began to notice that the great score throughout the show was a superb compliment to this compelling actor I was watching. It didn't take long for me to get hooked on House. 



House was a Monday night staple for my wife and I. Soon after, Fringe began its run, and that too had great music to go with all the Sci-fi elements we loved.

Both House and Fringe ended shortly after one another. There was a period of time where my wife and I really didn't have a show we were watching. Then, a best friend of mine texted me, emphatically telling me to find LOST on Netflix. "You are going to love it," he said.




Lost- My friend was correct. From that day forward Lost became my favorite show. It looked like nothing I had ever seen, but it also sounded like nothing I had ever heard. I still remember the chills I felt during the end of Season One's episode titled, "Walkabout." I still remember, because I still get chills every time I watch it. The acting is fantastic, the twist is mind blowing, the writing is brilliant, but the music just takes the scene to another level of emotion.


I thought that no other show would grab me musically the way Lost did. Yet, sure enough, Lost ended (in the most perfect way, I might add) and off the suggestion of that same best friend who suggested Lost, I was told to watch Friday Night Lights, which may just have the best musical score of any show, ever.




Friday Night Lights-I recently wrote a book. The music I had in my ears for the entirety of the writing process was the music from Friday Night Lights. The moment I heard the light, emotion filled guitar chords played by the band, Explosions in the Sky, I was taken to a deeper spiritual place. The music in Friday Night Lights made the show so personal and inviting. You felt as if you lived in Dillon, Texas and your neighbor was Tammy Taylor. The soundtrack has a way of uncovering emotions and promoting thought in a special way. That is why I wrote my book to it. The words would swell up and out, right along with the music.  If you haven't yet seen Friday Night Lights, I highly recommend it, if for the music alone.



The Leftovers-for me, has become that next great show with a score to be celebrated. Max Richter's work is both powerful and elegant and his sound creates the perfect ambiance of mystery and mastery. All at once, it promotes deep thoughts while also saying, "this is how The Leftovers will make you feel."  The strings and chords can touch on emotions that we often hold deep within, and when you accompany that with the intriguing characters and the excellence of Damon Lindelof's story telling, you have the makings of what I think is the best show currently on TV.





Max Richter- The composer who is responsible for enlightening us with his magic work, is Max Richter. This gentleman is not only a composer, but also a pianist, producer, re-mixer, and collaborator. He orchestrates his passion into his music and illustrates emotion in every way. Interviews have expressed that he and Damon Lindelof have exchanged ideas and collaborated the soundtrack together. 


The Leftovers is not only lifted by the Max Richter score.  It also has stand out music supervision with, Liza Richardson, Amber Funk, and Joey Hope Singer.  Season One's shining example was the use of the ultra soulful James Blake to accompany a pivotal scene in the pilot. The music supervisor of the series is Liza Richardson. She is responsible for bringing other music into the show to sync and illuminate scenes. My guess is, they all work together.



                                                

The eclectic and fantastic music selection continued throughout season one. From the spiritual hip-hop of The Grouch and Eligh used in episode two, to the "Who put this music on... Old people" use of Steely Dan in "The Garvey's at their Best," episode nine.

Season Two- has continued the trend of an incredible score, as Max Richter plays with the staple sound from season one while adding some extra bells and whistles, sometimes literally.

And the song selection this season has once again been stellar. In episode two, our ears where delighted by the moving sounds of Ruelle during the all important move to Miracle montage.

                                                 

Episode three, "Off Ramp" was one of the more musically driven hours of TV that I have seen. From the unsettling drum battle of Max Roach and Buddy Rich's "Figure Eights," that started the episode, to the quiet piano cover of "Where is my Mind" by the Pixies.

The standout musical moment to me though was use of the hard driving tune, "Spoiler" by Hyper. It was hard driving in sound and in scene, but I don't want to be a "Spoiler" and reveal what happened.



For those of you who own an account for Spotify, there is an amazing chronological playlist for The Leftovers made by Matty Zaradich. It has all the music from season one up until now, and in order! Be sure to add this playlist to your daily routine.  There are songs for meditation and songs for motivation, songs to escape to and songs to relate to. 

Good television series are not only fun to watch, they are enticing to listen to.  I am enticed right now with The Leftovers sound. I am definitely looking forward to more ambient and electrifying music as this season continues. 


                                                     



Does the music from TV or film scores inspire you, and if so, what are your thoughts about The Leftovers soundtrack?



Do you want more chat about The Leftovers? Get your fix by listening to The Living Reminders Podcast with detailed show discussion and amazing interviews with cast, crew, writers and directors of The Leftovers on HBO.








5 comments:

  1. My favorite from this last episode was hands down the Pixies' song piano cover by Maxence Cyrin! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0
    It is so beautiful my heart can't even handle it, especially paired with Laurie's emotional scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too, Reni. That version was also used I'm Mr Robot this year which is also a fantastic show. Damon was a big fan of the show and felt bad when he heard it used because episodes 2 & 3 were already locked. He even contacted Mr . robot's creator to let him know of the coincidence

      Delete
    2. I also watched Mr. Robot and loved it, but this song didn't have such an emotional impact on me in that show, I think it was a lot more powerful in The Leftovers.
      I didn't know about Damon contacting Sam Esmail, so thanks for that little trivia nugget :)

      Delete
  2. I'm loving the new Max Richter work in Season 2, although it's subtle. There's the one that I'd call the Miracle, TX theme that plays in S2E1 when Michael Murphy is bicycling to that old man's watch tower. It's kind of eerie, magical, and carnival-like.

    Then there's Laurie's new psychiatry-hero theme in S2E3, which starts off with an anxious piano riff much like the series' main theme, but turns up for a note or two on a positive, inspirational 80's feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, I completely agree. Those exact musical moments resonated with me as well. They have added certain musical elements to the score this season that very subtlety separate it from season one while keeping the same vibe. It's great work.

    ReplyDelete