Friday, October 2, 2015

The Virgin Diaries: Episode 1

Written by: Ashley Crawley


Hi, my name is Ashley and I’m a virgin… of The Leftovers, that is. I’m guilty of intense TV fandom, but somehow missed getting sucked down this wonderfully complicated rabbit hole when it first debuted last year. To be totally honest - I have zero clue what this show is even about, but this image for season one tells me it’s likely not about a two-day-old casserole.

As a diehard Lost fan, I’m ashamed to be late to a Damon Lindelof offering. Then again, it’s Damon Lindelof – so I imagine I’ll be just as confused as if I’d started on time. To be clear – that’s a compliment. This also boasts Peter Berg, who I’m forever indebted to for giving the world Coach and Tammy Taylor and Friday Night Lights.

Season two is kicking off and I like a good challenge. And thanks to the magic of HBO GO, I have committed myself to catching up from the very beginning. Who’s with me?

Now I know most show and book loyalists are so buried in conspiracy and knowledge and deep understanding that the notion of going back to episode one seems like pre-school. It might just be. Here’s hoping my real-time reactions – both serious and ridiculous – find you re-living your first time all over again. You know what they say – you always remember your first time. I digress.

Here we go. Episode 1: Pilot

1. October 14. Since this is a Damon Lindelof show, I should just go ahead and jot down numbers I might need later. 10,14, 3 [years later]

2. This opening is too real – been there, lived that crying baby chaos. I’d like to give this chick a hug and a midday drink.

3. What is that baby looking at? What is that baby looking at?! Something is in the sky! Why won’t the mom look up!? ***Don’t fight the script, Ashley, don’t fight the script.***

4. Oh God, where did that baby go? Mom anxiety kicking in. Worst nightmare. I retract my previous statement; I want nothing like this to be remotely familiar to my life.
5. Is this a religious show? Because right now, it feels a bit like the Left Behind series. In that one, all the believers were swept up. The non-believers were left to live in a hell-like state. Oh hell, if Kirk Cameron turns up, I’m out. Sorry, folks.

6. 140 million people. 2 percent of the population. ***Jots down more numbers, just in case.***

7. Oh phew, it’s Justin Theroux! I’ve been a fan of his since he popped up on Alias years and years ago. I’m back in. Also, nice sweatpants. #fiftyshadesofgrey
8. I’m all for rescuing dogs, but this one seems a bit Cujo/Pet Cemetery for my comfort. Proceed with caution, sweatpants.
9. He just shot that dog! WTF?!? Babies and dogs in the first two minutes – what fresh hell is this, Lindelof?!

10. Disheveled woman waking up for a smoke – I think that might be The Living Reminder of an actress I once knew named Amy Brenneman. I hope this look is for the show...otherwise, ouch.
11. Buddy Garrity!!! That’s Brad Leland from Friday Night Lights playing the congressman. Thank you, Peter Berg.

12. “We are Living Reminders” – Ahhhhh, now I get the name of Mary and Blake’s podcast! Relieved to learn it’s not a Nicholas Sparks book title or a Precious Moments collection. I’m also a tad freaked out by the “Guilty Remnant” author line of that quote. This can’t be good.
13. The smoking is killing me. There’s something odd about the purity of all-white clothing juxtaposed against the blackening of one’s insides. The last time Damon Lindelof dabbled in these colors, we got this.
14. The cult is mute. WTF. If they mention Marshall Applewhite, don new Nikes and start tracking the Comet Hale-Bopp, I’m out. And yet, they feel eerily like The Others. Damn, now I’m back in.

15. Especially now that I see the cult leader is played by Ann Dowd. She scares me here, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

16. “I’m fairly certain, sir, that God sat this one out.” Whoa.

17. Is that a real buck?
18. Wait, dogs disappeared three years ago too? The people count is 140 million, but what’s the animal count?

19. These flashback cutaways are intriguing and intense. Like Family Guy, but not.

20. My parents always taught not to get in a late-model van with strangers who might blindfold you. But this kid seems prophetic and solid. I approve, Buddy Garrity.
21. “They’re heroes because no one’s going to come to a parade on ‘we don’t know what the fuck happened day’.” LOL. Also, true story.

22. The cult has a name! The Guilty Remnant (GR). We like the color white, living in the suburbs and apparently high school girls’ field hockey (??). Oh right, they’re stalking Jill.

23. Peter Berg himself! The gatekeeper. To a desert cult. Wait, there's a second cult?

24. The score of this show is hauntingly perfect.

25. The build up to this dude Wayne is over the top… Jacob in the cabin, anyone?
26. Why does the desert cult have a pool deck full of beautiful, young Asian girls eating fruit?

27. Whoaaaaaaaa, the sweet tortured Tom is Chief Garvey’s son!

28. Call me crazy, but I am already sucked in by Justin Theroux… who makes a better Jack Shephard.

29. Annnnnd, the awesomely dark teenage Jill is his daughter. I really like this actress, who reminds me of a far more likable Kristen Stewart.

30. There’s a wide-spread recognition and familiarity to the white-clad GR showing up at random, but imagine if you were the first person they stalked, cigarette ablaze.
31. I just became beyond totally frightened to have a teenager one day. Leftover world, or not. ***races in to hug sleeping three-year old***

32. The shot of Jill in bed with this kid – Al Green in the background – has to be the most depressing shot on television in quite some time.
33. I love the kid’s theory that the disappearance has made the dogs all go nuts and that the left-behind humans will too, it’s just taking longer. I was thinking the same.

34. “Grace period is over, Tom. It’s time to go to work.” Yikes.

35. I bet the farm he just hit a deer. Better yet, a buck. Boom. But it’s a dream. I’ll accept any hallucination that has Justin Theroux on the floor in boxer briefs. Sorry, not sorry. #eyecandy

36. There’s something fishy about Garvey always being wrong about what time it is / late.

37. Speaking of it’s time to go to work, the GR cult is out in masses for Heroes Day.

38. Yep, pretty much. If this is like Lost, I’ll find out sometime around 2021.
39. Chief Garvey in uniform, aviators – all day every day, and twice on Sunday.
40. “She beat her children.” This isn’t like Left Behind anymore. That one for sure left behind all wife and child beaters.

41. Well that’s a creepily inappropriate statue. Seems important. ***commits to memory***
42. I love this woman playing Nora Durst – Carrie Coon. She was a bright spot in Gone Girl as Ben Affleck’s sister.

43. Right about now, Chief Garvey’s all “I told you so.” As my husband likes to say, SGR (shit’s getting real). Hey, I’m just proud of him for cleaning up his language around the kid.
44. Double or nothing, mute Amy Brenneman HAS to be his wife. I’m not even that quick, it’s just that obvious in this fight scene.

45. Gary Busey made the cut? That made me laugh out loud.

46. The context of this show just grew more intriguing – the focus is on a family who, technically, lost no one on that day. Though you’d never know it. Mom’s gone AWOL, son buddied up with a desert cult, daughter pantomimes suicide and the dad is hanging on by one very loose thread.
47. Meg joins the cult and Patty breaks her silence, but she won’t speak again. Say whaaaa?

48. And we’re hallucinating again. The buck stops here. Anyone else’s brain going to Oceanic flight 815 and this?
49. “They’re not our dogs anymore.”

50. Justin Theroux’s tears, the gunshots and this score. Yes, yes and yes. Bring on episode 2!

Who's binge watching season 1 again to prep for Sunday's premiere?  How off the mark am I? Wait, don't tell me. 

Do you want more chat about The Leftovers? Get your fix by listening to The Living Reminders Podcast with detailed show discussion and amazing interviews with cast, crew, writers and directors of The Leftovers on HBO.

11 comments:

  1. This is excellent, Ashley!! Pretty much had the same reactions . . . especially the mommy anxiety. Has is just gotten waaaaaaaaay worse at those high school parties or was I just not very popular?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are definitely more maniacally creative with how they entertain themselves then when we were in high school. FRIGHTENING.

      Delete
  2. Ashley, loved reading through this! It was as if I watched the pilot for the first time all over again! It is nice to see new viewers analyzing and interpreting like us alumni did last year. You really pinpointed the main events happening and your reactions are really similar to the way I felt when I first watched the pilot. I binged through season 1 last year several times. I also binge watched season one throughout this year and finally before season two premiered. I can't help it. I'm devoted to it. It puts me in my happy place. I really enjoyed reading this as it brought back flashbacks for me, and I'm curious...Will you be writing as you watch along the way? Even though Season 2 has already begun, us Lefties never get tired of hearing about Season 1. I would love to continue reading your reactions as you continue to watch Season 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to watch and blog each episode of season 1 in reaction style. Glad you liked!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this! I loved reliving this episode, all the emotions and questions.. can't get enough! Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! If only there was a mechanism for audio capturing my yelling at the screen. I imagine it's only going to get louder as I go.

      Delete
  4. Haha nice read! Reading your reactions I can't help but thinking....OH MY GOD there's soooo much you don't know yet! Yes this show has a very high WTF factor...expect more of everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is SO much I don't know! That's for sure. I'm excited to find out... or not find out... more. Episode 4, coming soon!

      Delete
  5. Love this!! I, too, am new to The Leftovers. I binge watched the show last week and with no one to talk about it with, I was like WTF? But I got through season one and then started listening to M&B. Got caught up on season 2 and was able to watch the new episode Sunday night. Now I am going back through and watching season one, listening to podcast and reading blogs! Reading your post is everything I was thinking while watching it. As for the teenagers, by now you know that they only get worse before anything can even resemble being better!! Same as real life. But seriously, they aren't so bad. But who knows what they would be like if WE should have a departure!
    Thanks So much for an awesome read!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're eating off The Leftovers buffet!! I love it. Binge, binge, binge. I was about to say "yay! I have someone to go through this with me" but you've far surpassed how far I've made it. That's ok! Go through it with me anyway, so we can share the same thoughts. ;)

    ReplyDelete


  7. Investment system

    Virgin buck is a worldwide and high class business which offers excellent investment tools. The company has
    managed tolerable and acceptable conditions of investment which are very easy and bearable for all categories traders. The virginbuck.
    com is the right choice to gain money for any kind of trader such as loser or gainer, beginner or experienced. There are three categories
    investment tools which are given below….




    Virgin buck is the leading platform for get rich soon

    ReplyDelete